I just got home a few hours ago from a really nice dinner with my friend, Lisa. Our friendship is a special one, as I met her when I was in high school working as her accounting assistant at the Tuffy headquarters. We had a ten year age gap, but we clicked instantly. We spent the entire summer laughing until our bellies ached and became great friends along the way. Our paths in life seem to intersect when we both need it most.It's always cathartic to talk with her because unfortunately we share the same experience of losing our dads. Both were lovable Italian guys and I think it's safe to say we were both daddy's girls. Sadly, both of our dads suffered from a quick downhill spiral after their unexpected cancer diagnoses. It feels like we are members of a club that neither of us wanted to join. Lisa and I lost contact for awhile as we were both going through our separate experiences. I wish I could have been there for her as she probably wishes the same. She lost her dad four years before I did and in many ways, she gave me hope that I would be okay eventually. That I would always miss him, but would find a way to smile at the memories again. Now when we get together, I enjoy sharing stories of the signs I get that let me know my dad is still with me. She's had some pretty great signals too. It's just nice to talk with someone who understands the loss. Thanks for listening, Lisa! Don't know what I'd do without you. :)
1 comment:
Hi Nicole,
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I had a great time on vacation and to be honest am dreading going back to work tomorrow. :( We should try to get together sometime soon and introduce the dogs. Porter is not the best with other dogs when he is on his leash but he seems good when meeting dogs off leash. Not sure how yours do around other dogs, but Porter needs some friends. Would love to read more in your blog, keep posting! I'm trying to post more too!
Post a Comment